By Sami Zaptia.
London, June 11, 2020:
Reporting 27 dead and 40 injured from landmines and IEDs in civilian areas south of Tripoli through June 9, the Justice Ministry of the internationally recognized Libyan government based in Tripoli announced yesterday that it had formed a committee to investigate these serious human rights violations. .
The committee will follow up on the recovery of bodies found in a number of mass graves and abandoned wells in Tarhuna – in addition to the 100 bodies found at Tarhuna General Hospital
He will also search and collect corpses found in areas previously under the direct / indirect control of Khalifa Hafter’s forces, including mass graves and planted IEDs.
The committee, under the prosecution service, will have the power to dig up graves, determine the causes of death, identify bodies and report possible human rights violations.
The formation of the committee comes at the expense of the Justice Ministry, which yesterday released a statement revealing increasing incidents of mine / IED casualties left by Hafter forces in civilian homes in southern Tripoli. The ministry confirmed that the mines / IEDs planted included mines planted in children’s toys, which it said showed a complete lack of human morality.
He assured that he had documented all these crimes under national and international law and urged citizens not to return to their homes until they had been officially cleared / explosives.
The Justice Ministry also said its Joint Committee for Monitoring and Documenting Human Rights Violations held its regular meeting yesterday.
He reviewed the cases of landmine victims who fell as a result of landmines laid by Hafter’s forces before their withdrawal from southern Tripoli. The losses suffered by internally displaced persons who recently attempted to return home, as well as demining experts and their escorts were also reviewed.
The committee also addressed the issue of bodies found at Tarhuna General Hospital and those found in mass graves around the town after the Kani militias aligned with Hafter who previously controlled the town of Tarhuna fled.
The Committee also examined the reports submitted on violations to be included in its next report.
Haftar set to publicly renew 2011 pledge to stop using landmines, destroy stockpiles: HRW
EU will continue to support Libya in clearing traps and explosives in southern Tripoli